M y story is not one of some radical conversion point after realising my need for God and his forgiveness through his son Jesus Christ, or even one of falling away from God and turning back to him. Mine is of the struggle to follow God in a world that has become so corrupt yet so appealing.
As I grew up I was pushed to attain great achievements in every field of life, from school to music, sports and even making money. When I graduated high school I began attending the U of C, a place I did not like in pretty much any regard, which left me feeling empty inside. Because of my disdain for school I pursued show jumping (a sport involving horses jumping over fences, i.e. Spruce Meadows). This was an extremely high profile sport where I began to rise through the ranks at a rate no one had ever seen. Within 8 months of beginning I competed at the international level! The next year I was broadcast on prime time news, TV shows, and even across the entire world as I competed.
This was the success I strived for, but no matter how much I won, no matter how many people came tell me how great I was, no matter how loud the crowds cheered for me, after the competition was over those feelings of elation faded and I was left empty again. It did not matter how many times I won, I was never satisfied. It was at this point my top horse I was hoping to compete on at the World Championships hurt his legs. It was the equivalent of tearing both of a person’s Achilles tendons. I was devastated and cried out to God for help! I had put so much hope and passion into my success that when I lost the ability to achieve it I was devastated.
However, as I followed such a different moral code than the rest of my friends and was no longer admired by them because of my success, they began to quickly leave me. Through prayer and thought I realised I actually desired the love of people and not their admiration. But the more I pursed being a good Christian and obeying God the more people turned from me. They viewed me as self righteous and judgemental because I would not drink or sleep around. I was so alone and depressed despite pursuing God. I thought I was sinning because God should have been be all I needed.
After months and months I finally couldn’t take it anymore. I didn’t want to live, but at this darkest hour I knew God wanted me to hold on. The next day I received a call from a guy at Center Street church inviting me out to a young adult gathering. I made friends nearly instantly and the rest as they say was history. God provided me people who were real true friends. They supported me in my faith and challenged me to become better. I even got involved with Campus for Christ and enjoyed being at school to hang out with my Christian friends... I still detested class though.
God really did save me and I know no matter what you are going through to he will save you as well. It may not be an instant fix, but without allowing us to endure such circumstances such as I experienced I know I would never be the man I am today! You never know what he is trying to shape you into! =D
As I grew up I was pushed to attain great achievements in every field of life, from school to music, sports and even making money. When I graduated high school I began attending the U of C, a place I did not like in pretty much any regard, which left me feeling empty inside. Because of my disdain for school I pursued show jumping (a sport involving horses jumping over fences, i.e. Spruce Meadows). This was an extremely high profile sport where I began to rise through the ranks at a rate no one had ever seen. Within 8 months of beginning I competed at the international level! The next year I was broadcast on prime time news, TV shows, and even across the entire world as I competed.
This was the success I strived for, but no matter how much I won, no matter how many people came tell me how great I was, no matter how loud the crowds cheered for me, after the competition was over those feelings of elation faded and I was left empty again. It did not matter how many times I won, I was never satisfied. It was at this point my top horse I was hoping to compete on at the World Championships hurt his legs. It was the equivalent of tearing both of a person’s Achilles tendons. I was devastated and cried out to God for help! I had put so much hope and passion into my success that when I lost the ability to achieve it I was devastated.
However, as I followed such a different moral code than the rest of my friends and was no longer admired by them because of my success, they began to quickly leave me. Through prayer and thought I realised I actually desired the love of people and not their admiration. But the more I pursed being a good Christian and obeying God the more people turned from me. They viewed me as self righteous and judgemental because I would not drink or sleep around. I was so alone and depressed despite pursuing God. I thought I was sinning because God should have been be all I needed.
After months and months I finally couldn’t take it anymore. I didn’t want to live, but at this darkest hour I knew God wanted me to hold on. The next day I received a call from a guy at Center Street church inviting me out to a young adult gathering. I made friends nearly instantly and the rest as they say was history. God provided me people who were real true friends. They supported me in my faith and challenged me to become better. I even got involved with Campus for Christ and enjoyed being at school to hang out with my Christian friends... I still detested class though.
God really did save me and I know no matter what you are going through to he will save you as well. It may not be an instant fix, but without allowing us to endure such circumstances such as I experienced I know I would never be the man I am today! You never know what he is trying to shape you into! =D
~ Aaron D, Calgary CA
No comments:
Post a Comment